OK I have to say I just love, love, love World Market. I had gotten a coupon for 10$ worth the merchandise FREE!!!! So I have been looking for other things in World Market and saw this mini pie mold…and well kept trying to justify the cost of buying it…thanks so much for my coupon I got it free!
So I made these and super yummy cherries…now the draw back is this my DS only wanted the crust and well I loved these hand held babies! I doubled the pie crust recipe which I suggest you do as well. I think I got about 8 mini pies with the mold and there were only 2 left in the whole house the night I made them. Bonus if you have a toaster oven USE it instead of the big oven. It will take a little longer but sooo worth it and you don’t heat the whole up either!
Makes 4 pies, each serving 1-2 people
- Make the pie dough. It can be made up to a full day in advance, or it can be frozen.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the berries, tapioca, sugar, lemon zest, cinnamon, salt and lemon juice together in a bowl. Crush the berries a little to bring out some more juice. Let this stand for 15 minutes.
- Butter or otherwise grease four 4-inch ramekins, and fill them with the berries. Mound them a little in the center, as they will cook down a bit.
- Cut the butter into little pieces and dot the top of the berries with them.
- Roll out your pie dough to less than 1/4 inch; 1/8 inch is better. Put a ramekin down on a corner of the dough and cut a circle of dough that is a little larger than the ramekin.
- Slice an “X” in the middle of the circle and place the dough on top of the ramekin. Crimp the edges around the rim. Repeat for the other ramekins.
- Paint the tops of the pies with the beaten egg.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Check the pies and turn the heat down to 350 degrees. Ovens tend to have hot spots, so you might need to rearrange your mini pies so they bake evenly.
- Remove the pies when the tops are golden brown, about 10-15 more minutes. Let them rest on a rack to cool, then let them set overnight in the fridge to set up properly.
- If you have pie mold follow those directions. This is for making the pies with out the mold!